In the beginning of 30s it was appeared in the world an idea of high-speed bomber that could outstrip contemporary fighters. One of the objectifications of this conception became the twin-engine bomber Ju 88 designed by a German Junkers Flugzeug – und Motorenwerke AG company.
Since the spring of 1941 it were produced Ju 88A-4 planes with liquid-cooled Jumo 211J engines of increased power and more powerful armament.
Ju 88A-4 became the most massive and important Luftwaffe bombers. These aircraft were also transferred to some Axis countries, such as Romania and Hungary, and to Finland.