The main armoured personnel carrier of the German Wehrmacht was the half-track Sd.Kfz.251, created by the firm “Hanomag”. It was used to transport motorized infantry (Sd.Kfz.251/1). The armoured personnel carriers were in service with the German army throughout the Second World War and were used in all theaters of war. A total of 15252 vehicles were produced.
Modification Sd.Kfz.251 Ausf.A was produced in 1939-1940. Some armoured personnel carriers were issued as Sd.Kfz.251/6 command vehicles for the High Command of the Wehrmacht.